Friday, August 20, 2004

To the newly weds..

It's exactly 2 and a half years since I got married. I still remember the beautiful day, how nervous I was, how the house smelt of pandan leaves mixed with rosewater, the decorations and flowers on the dias, the hantarans (gifts) for the groom arranged neatly in the lounge, my wedding kebaya,the henna drawings on my hands and feet, the room decorated in blue, how it rained so heavily before everyone arrived, how the groom's entourage come late as they had to wait for one of their main guests, how my father, Najee and Yat had to move furniture around to make space for the guests, the blue canopy outside, the little blue presents for the guests which were distributed by Syi and Nadia who at that time were not married to my brothers yet but helped out a lot by distributing these gifts to the guests (thanks!!), the bouquet that Alice made from scratch, my friends who carried all 11 of my gifts down from upstairs, Abang Darwish and Ayie as our witnesses, Saba was pregnant with Shafika, the whole family in grey, the wedding ceremony itself carried out by my father and finally how handsome my husband looked when he came to slip the ring on my finger. Oh how happy I was. Alhamdulillah, the wedding was something I had a major part in planning and despite a few quarrels here and there it was a beautiful yet simple wedding. Just as I had always wanted it to be...

Last night we attended Zairul's cousin, Farhan's, wedding. He looked extremely calm and very ready to recite his wedding vows very very confidently. No matter what the tok kadi asked him he had an answer. After he recited the vows, I almost cried. The bride, Intan, looked absolutely gorgeous. She wore a white with red flowers baju kurung with matching shoes. She had red and white-gemed cucuk sangguls on her hair and she wore ruby and diamond jewellery. We were so happy for them. They looked so happy.

From last nights experience I guess when my children get marreid, I would make a very sobby mother of the bride or groom because the emotional overload was a bit too much for my eyes to bare. I was teary eyed when the tok kadi read out the doa. It was a simple ceremony yet it meant the world to the couple and their families. We now have another "arm" added to the family tree. I truly love weddings. Although preparations are horrible but weddings, I must say are one of my favourite functions to plan for..

To Farhan and Intan, may Allah bless you with lots of love and rezeki. To Intan, welcome to the family. I hope we'll get to know you better.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home